Kalamazoo’s first indoor trampoline park is officially here now that AVB, as construction manager, has worked with Sky Zone to bring the new concept of fitness and recreation to the community. The project started this past summer as AVB constructed the new 22,840 square foot facility on Portage Road.
Sky Zone is the national leader in the development of indoor trampoline parks and brings the growing trend to the Kalamazoo region. The project was built under a tight schedule in order to have the facility ready for Sky Zone’s busy season around the holidays. The facility was also built within an existing structure with an adjacent tenant that required sound mitigations for their classroom and lab spaces. Both during construction and for ongoing operations AVB coordinated closely with Sky Zone’s team of national vendors and suppliers in order to make sure the project was a success.
AVB was able to combine its close attention to detail with its ability to meet tight deadlines in order to create a successful project for Sky Zone Kalamazoo. AVB’s past experience with national and local vendors also contributed to the overall success of the facility. Jump on by and check it out: www.skyzone.com/kalamazoo/
AVB is pleased to announce new condominiums are underway with the new Bridgeview at Angels Crossing Golf Club. AVB is thrilled with the gorgeous setting this community offers, located on the award winning Angels Crossing golf course in the Village of Vicksburg. AVB offers ranch style plans from 1,490 to 1,950 square feet on the main level, and optional lower level finish; these floor plans are the same featured at Oakland Hills and Walden Woods and have won many awards. Garden and walkout home sites are available, including breathtaking views of the course and natural areas. Home investment values are planned to range from the mid-$200’s through the $400’s.
Community infrastructure improvements are also now underway. They include an improved entry statement and boulevard; street improvements including new paving and a cul-de-sac and berms, and over $150,000 in landscaping, irrigation and trees with new street lighting.
Angels Crossing Golf Club is one of the best and most beautiful public golf courses in the State of Michigan and has gained recognition from Golf Digest Magazine. The Bridgeview community is located right on the course and provides convenient access to the clubhouse. The first five new homeowners will receive three year golf course walking memberships.
AVB’s first two new model homes are under construction and are available. The floor plans are two of AVB’s most popular layouts. AVB is happy to provide more information, floor plan options, and photos on request. These new homes will be complete and opening in early spring. Please contact us to receive an invitation to the model grand opening.
1. Metallic: Metal finishes are hot, and we expect to see them everywhere this year. Mixing metals is also a trend. There is no “in” metal right now: polished and brushed chrome, different bronze tones, polished and brushed nickel, brushed brass, even gunmetal finishes are appearing in home design. We see increasing options and opportunities for customization and detail using metal finishes in hardware, lighting, plumbing, as well as art and furnishings.
2. Matte Finishes: Glossy finishes appear to be a thing of the past, as more and more matte finishes have appeared lately. Countertop materials and flooring are especially showing this trend. Wood, tile and stone flooring has a decidedly lower sheen than in the past. There is also increased attention on the tactile qualities of surfaces, showing details in texture more than color.
3. Painted Cabinetry: Painted finish cabinetry is still very fashionable, and seems to continue to gain popularity. There is a large amount of mixing painted and stained cabinetry in the same home, and often in the same room. Furniture style looks are big, adding details like feet, columns, and aspects like wainscoting and bead board sides and backs to cabinetry emphasizes the look.
4. Commercial Style Kitchens: Commercial looking kitchen appointments continue to be a popular feature. Although we see some interest in new appliance finishes, stainless is still king. Industrial and Euro style hoods came in full force several years ago and continue to dominate. Commercial looking kitchen sinks and faucets seem to be increasing in design currently too.
5. Vintage Details: Many reminiscent design details seem to be appearing around us. Vintage and retro looks vary from the subtle to nearly reproduction features. Plumbing has seen an increase in this option, including Kohler’s latest line, Artifacts. We are also seeing more vintage details in cabinetry, trim, and built-ins like inset cabinet doors and latch details. Period inspired lighting is a trend we expect to continue to see as well.
AVB has been hired by long-term clients GEM and Schenk Realty to oversee the construction and development of a fascinating urban development in Athens, Georgia. The project began in December of 2013 and when finished will be a 377,000 SF retail and residential center with underground parking, located immediately adjacent to the University of Georgia.
Working on this site has been a unique experience due to the fact that half of the project is in a historic district. This means coordinating with the architecture surrounding Athens, Georgia, while also complying with the historic regulations. Since some of these historic buildings are immediately adjacent to the 35 foot deep excavations, significant unpinning was required to keep the existing historic retail buildings supported while the shoring was installed and foundations were poured for underground parking. To work with these neighbors required a good deal of skill and flexibility for all involved in the project.
The first above grade level is entirely retail, constructed of cast-in-place concrete and has a ceiling height of twenty two feet. Above the retail, there is 231,000 SF of residential living space. Georgia heights has 292 beds, 244 of which are one bedrooms, 20 are two bedrooms and 2 are four bedrooms. The unusually high percentage of one bedroom units is meant to tailor the space for the undergraduate, graduates and professionals in Athens. The development also includes two levels of underground parking. The project will be interwoven into downtown Athens, enhance retail and provide housing for a significant and dense downtown population. Georgia Heights will open to residents in August of 2015, and will offer a unique lifestyle in the market with walking adjacencies to the University, shopping and dining.
mophie is an extremely fast-growing supplemental mobile battery/power solutions company that has operations all over the U.S. and around the globe. When mophie saw the need to quickly expand their current operations in Kalamazoo, they decided to team with AVB to complete a 37,000 square foot addition on their existing building. AVB was heavily involved in budgeting during the pre-construction phase and worked in conjunction with mophie and the architect Tower Pinkster, to establish and then maintain the project budget.
This was an occupied facility at the time of construction which meant work had to be closely coordinated with the owner’s operations. The collaboration between AVB and the owners ensured everything went smoothly during construction. The expansion was completed three weeks ahead of schedule by accelerating early bid packages and then revising the subsequent bid schedules in order to maintain that pace.
The project finished in mid-November and opens up the rapidly expanding company to potentially adding 25-35 new jobs in our community.
Will Timmer, Residential Estimator, has recently gotten engaged to Brittany Rozeboom and they have set their wedding date for June 11th, 2015!
Beth Lynch, Project Engineer, and husband Chas welcomed Charles IV into the world on December 19th. He weighed in at 7 lbs, 12 oz. Congrats to the happy parents!
Project Estimator Mohanad Alnajjar has officially passed his citizenship test and become a citizen of the Unites States!
Josie Marshall completed the Dirty Duel 5K in November as well as the Run through the Lights in Bronson Park this winter.
AVB has some exciting goals for the year 2015 that we look forward to accomplishing!
We are proud of our team and their dedication to consistently strive to Build Something Better. We would like to thank our team for their efforts as a part of AVB and celebrate the landmarks of their careers with us.
Recent Milestones Reached:
Thank you and Congratulations